One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A chiefly migratory North American crane with grayish plumage and a red crown.
- ‘He followed the sandhill cranes in 2001 and the whooping cranes on their journey north the following year.’
- ‘From here, immense flocks of snow geese, sandhill cranes, and other waterfowl may be seen, having safely made the journey to their winter home, sheltered by the timeless cottonwoods.’
- ‘The arrow indicates the band corresponding to the crane sex-linked DNA fragment, which has a size of 421 bp in whooping crane and hooded crane and 424 bp in sandhill crane.’
- ‘The latter initiative is expected to restore 250,000 acres of habitat for species such as upland ducks, pheasants and sandhill cranes.’
- ‘On a wing and a prayer - human-led migration of sandhill cranes to be expanded to include whooping cranes’
- ‘Today, fewer than 200 whoopers survive in the wild, most migrating with sandhill cranes between Canada and Texas.’
- ‘Two species are native to North America, the whooping crane and the sandhill crane (G. canadensis).’
- ‘The ‘Marshland Elegy’ chapter of Sand County ends with an epitaph to the sandhill crane.’
- ‘The skies are quiet except for the occasional sandhill crane and its raucous cries.’
- ‘Vast flocks of Canada geese, sandhill cranes, snow geese, and shorebirds make this look like a nature movie.’
- ‘It contains historic wetlands that could be restored to provide important habitat for sandhill crane nesting and foraging as well as Oregon spotted frog breeding habitat.’
- ‘Last night I heard a sandhill crane; Mary has already seen some.’
- ‘It is fascinating to watch for and to listen for each returning bird species, like sandhill cranes and robins, with their very distinct sound.’
- ‘The refuge is also an important migration stopover point for many northern nesters, including shorebircls, white-fronted geese, arid sandhill cranes.’
- ‘Previous research with Canada geese and sandhill cranes has shown that birds led south by ultralight return the next spring.’
- ‘With the Mississippi sandhill crane breeding facility in operation for seven years, the Audubon facility has proven that dwindling crane populations can be boosted through a combination of artificial insemination and hand-rearing.’
- ‘A $7 Texas migratory bird hunting stamp, plus a valid hunting license, will be required of persons hunting any migratory game bird, including ducks, geese, doves, sandhill crane, woodcock, etc.’
- ‘I ended up seeing over 70 species and the highlights include a sandhill crane pair feeding along a road in farm field, a flock of male bobolinks competing with each other and of course an indigo bunting feeding below the finch feeders.’
- ‘I don't know if we're going to do the Rivers and Wildlife Celebration but we will get out for some sandhill crane and snow goose action.’
- ‘She's also hoping to prevent the establishment of hunting seasons on mourning doves, sandhill cranes, and wolves.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.