One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small migratory sandpiper of northern Eurasia and Canada, typically seen running after receding waves on the beach.
- ‘Earlier we glimpsed a seal, and we've seen bountiful mussels and clams half-buried in the mud and the sanderlings, avocets, and gulls that feed on them.’
- ‘While some species breeding there are well within their known breeding range, others, such as the white-rumped sandpiper, semipalmated sandpiper, and sanderling, are at the northern limit.’
- ‘It's part of Niumi National Park, and there are 11 km of sandy beaches frequented only by the occasional osprey fishing over the sea or a flock of sanderling scooting along the sand.’
- ‘He said it was crucially important as a refuelling stop’ for migratory birds and resident species, ranging from oyster catchers to sanderlings and curlews.’
- ‘White-rumped sandpipers and sanderlings were the two shorebirds observed most frequently on surveys along the north area coast during the post-nesting period in August 1995.’
- ‘On the coasts, the Caribbean to the east and the Pacific to the west, there were mangrove swamps with frigate birds, great egrets, pelicans, skimmers, sanderlings and vultures.’
- ‘Although the merlin was usually out of sight, the sanderlings never forgot that a predator was in the vicinity.’
- ‘During the first winter of his study, based at California's Point Reyes National Seashore, Myers observed that sanderlings, when not foraging, roosted amicably in large flocks on sandbars.’
- ‘His sanderlings, however, demonstrated a capacity for radically altering their behavior in direct response to an increased threat of predation.’
- ‘Birds such as the sanderling, white-fronted plover and many others are dependent on these creatures as well as being themselves dependent on the biome.’
- ‘On the beach we some willets and gulls but no terns or sanderlings which we normally see but we usually are in Virginia in August not mid-July which could explain their absence.’
Early 17th century: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.