Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1another term for chigoe
- ‘Tungiasis (penetration of the skin by sand fleas) is widespread in tropical Africa, especially West Africa, including Madagascar.’
- ‘The tiny little spots are sand fleas trying to dig their way into his skin.’
2another term for beach flea
- ‘Selecting the right memento of your service will lead to years of pleasant memories, something to be remembered long after the sand flea bites heal.’
- ‘True, the Lakes' shores lacked the sand fleas that infested ocean beaches and scared off those who couldn't tell them apart from lice.’
- ‘Actually his worst encounter wound up being with sand fleas on the beach of a ‘tropical paradise,’ but as he said while looking at the pictures of dense green foliage and obvious humidity, ‘You expect to see Tarzan come swinging by.’’
- ‘He told me that I was a sissy for hating the sand fleas on the beach.’
- ‘Other times it can be like sitting in a hornets' nest with sand fleas up your nose.’
- ‘Their latest CD, Beach Blanket Bedlam, packs a punch with high-energy, oddball odes to sand fleas and doomed hoodlums.’
- ‘Restlessly sleeping among swarming sand fleas, I'm awakened by ‘Gabilan’, who points to a sky filled with thousands of stars and dozens of streaks of light.’
- ‘Although I have not subjected myself to all of these, the label says that Repel disgusts chiggers, fleas, mosquitoes, ticks, and sand fleas.’
- ‘Thick in the middle of the World Wars, segueing at the moment from the First to the Second, we have a week with nothing better to do but paddle out to catch dinner, keep the sand fleas out of the tent… and game.’
- ‘Despite balmy temperatures, you'll need to pack pants, long-sleeved shirts, and, yes, even socks, to fend off the hordes of biting sand fleas and midges on the Tuichi River.’
- ‘Maybe a target audience of desert dwelling sand fleas would warm to this crazy mix of faux comedy with karate chops.’
- ‘Soldiers slept in tents and had no running water or dining facility, used burn-out latrines, and endured sand fleas, crickets, and extreme heat.’
- ‘The reason I had seen the sand fleas always hopping whenever I approached them was because I was approaching them.’
sand flea/ˈsan(d) ˌflē/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.