A candle or small light left lit in the sanctuary of a church, especially (in Catholic churches) a red lamp indicating the presence of the reserved Sacrament.
- ‘The tabernacle, sanctuary lamp and all brasses have been cleaned, polished and lacquered in both Mulranny and Tiernaur churches.’
- ‘The renovations yielded a surprise when workers came across the original sanctuary lamp of the cathedral, which has now been restored to its former glory.’
- ‘A local craftsman is now set to clean and restore the traditional sanctuary lamp which has become badly discoloured over the years.’
- ‘A silver and silver-gilt sanctuary lamp was replicated by Caldwell and confirmed with a sketch at the bottom of a letter.’
- ‘If you would like a member of your family, neighbour or friend remembered, please sign their name in the Book of Prayer for Our Exam Students, which is to be found near the sanctuary lamp.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.