One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A candle or small light left lit in the sanctuary of a church, especially (in Catholic churches) a red lamp indicating the presence of the reserved Sacrament.
- ‘A silver and silver-gilt sanctuary lamp was replicated by Caldwell and confirmed with a sketch at the bottom of a letter.’
- ‘The renovations yielded a surprise when workers came across the original sanctuary lamp of the cathedral, which has now been restored to its former glory.’
- ‘If you would like a member of your family, neighbour or friend remembered, please sign their name in the Book of Prayer for Our Exam Students, which is to be found near the sanctuary lamp.’
- ‘A local craftsman is now set to clean and restore the traditional sanctuary lamp which has become badly discoloured over the years.’
- ‘The tabernacle, sanctuary lamp and all brasses have been cleaned, polished and lacquered in both Mulranny and Tiernaur churches.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.