One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A purificatory ceremony or rite marking a major event in one's life.
- ‘Hindus consider children a gift from God, and the conception, development and birth of a child are sacred events, honored by a ceremony, or samskara, marking these rites of passage.’
- ‘In particular, the samskaras of Vaishnava culture are the best part of the Aryan religion.’
- ‘He said, ‘I have made documentaries on Hindu temples in Thailand and on Hindu wedding ceremonies, samskaras and festivals.’’
- ‘Drawing on ancient scriptures, content includes learning the proper performance of yagnas, samskaras, puja, Vedic astrology and more.’
- ‘There are many types of samskaras, from the rite prior to conception to the funeral ceremony.’
From Sanskrit saṃskāra ‘an act of making perfect, preparation’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.