One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A triangular savory pastry fried in ghee or oil, containing spiced vegetables or meat.
- ‘The starters of vegetable pakora and samosas were first rate and served with several tangy sauces.’
- ‘Street food also is quite common for snacks and includes samosas, roti, curried rolls, soups, and noodles.’
- ‘Whatever you choose, you're sure to enjoy nibbling on crispy papadums and tasty vegetable samosas - fresh vegetables and spices wrapped in a light pastry and deep fried - as you sip through your selection.’
- ‘The starters we ordered, vegetable pakora and meat samosas, were excellent.’
- ‘As a result, you're always hearing tales about the perfect slice of pizza in distant Flatbush, say, or the incomparable samosa in far-off Jackson Heights.’
- ‘In India, savoury samosas are usually served with a chutney of some sort.’
- ‘The more convenience-minded can also pick up dishes to go - vegetable samosas, tandoori sandwiches and the like are also available.’
- ‘Then you could move onto some deliciously cooked and wonderfully arranged bhajis, shish kebabs or samosas.’
- ‘He limited himself to a small bowl of curried pumpkin soup, passing up the Greek salad and spicy chicken samosas prepared by the island's superb chefs.’
- ‘We tried vegetable samosas, butter chicken and rogan josh with biriani rice, all of which were very good and made to order.’
- ‘Where else in Kochi, but Kadavanthara can one find people enjoying bhel puris, paani puris, paav bhajis, gol gappas and samosas from the row of chaat stalls.’
- ‘It is common to see white Americans and Hispanics picking their fruits, vegetables and milk at Indian grocery stores and yes, the occasional packet of samosas and spices too.’
- ‘Indian food (such as chapattis, a flat bread; samosas, vegetable or meat-filled pastries; and masala, a spiced rice dish), is widely available in all urban areas.’
- ‘Mombasa is known for its Indian foods brought by the numerous immigrants from the subcontinent, including curries, samosas, and chapatti, a fried bread.’
- ‘My wife, Jayne, enjoyed the mini savoury selection which consisted of crunchy onion bhajis, aloo tikkas, spinach pakoras and vegetable samosas all deep fried and served with two dips.’
- ‘There are Indian samosas filled with coriander-scented duck confit.’
- ‘In the meantime, check out her restaurant for excellent curries, samosas, bhajis and, yes, pakora.’
- ‘The menu covers the usual selections expected in an Indian restaurants, with the vegetarian starters generally under B.100 including vegetable pakora or samosas.’
- ‘Crucially, the food items like samosas, pastries, puffs, wraps, sandwiches and the like as well as the water are to be periodically tested for quality, he promises.’
- ‘Vadas, samosas, and spring rolls are being added now.’
From Persian and Urdu.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.