Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Marriage between partners of the same sex (as recognized in some jurisdictions)
- ‘The 1990s brought a movement for legalizing same-sex marriages, but it initially enjoyed little success.’
- ‘His comments were seized on by supporters and opponents of same-sex marriage.’
- ‘In November, Spain's highest court upheld a law legalising same-sex marriage brought in by the socialist government of Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero.’
- ‘Belgium became the second country to allow same-sex marriage, in 2003.’
- ‘Voters in Maine, Maryland and Washington State became the first to approve same-sex marriage at the ballot box rather than through courts or legislatures.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.