One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A state of intense concentration achieved through meditation. In Hindu yoga this is regarded as the final stage, at which union with the divine is reached (before or at death).
- ‘This lack of self is related to gnosis but makes me think more of things like yoga's samadhi.’
- ‘He said that for twenty years I had served him well, and that if I did five more years of tapas, religious austerity, I would achieve nirvikalpa samadhi (ultimate meditation).’
- ‘When meditation is very deep, various channels are open and it will lead to samadhi and then to final Moksha if God pleases.’
- ‘The term, Zen, is a translation of a Sanskrit term, dhyana, the seventh highest state of consciousness immediately preceding samadhi, the final and non-duality stage described in the eight limbs of yoga.’
- ‘Indeed the Buddha instruction appears to be that samadhi could be achieved by individual effort alone, provided that the person has already achieved a measure of liberation from the asavas and satisfied some of the paramitas.’
- 1.1Indian A funerary monument.
- ‘The hill is also home to the samadhi of Babaji, the founder of the temple's order who now rests in a cave tucked away anonymously.’
- ‘Chanti refuses to surrender the piece of land, where his father's samadhi lay, to him at any cost.’
- ‘While he is among the five Congress Prime Ministers whose pictures appear in the Congress manifesto, the bjp has put a photograph of Vajpayee with Rao at Rajiv Gandhi's samadhi taken during the 13-day government of Vajpayee.’
- ‘The last half an hour is a meditation at the sacred samadhi of Sadhu Vaswani.’
From Sanskrit samādhi ‘contemplation’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.