One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pair of light, loose, pleated trousers tapering to a tight fit around the ankles, worn by women from South Asia, typically with a kameez.
- ‘Younger Muslim girls may favor the combination of salwar (loose trousers) and kamiz (tunic).’
- ‘Women wear the salwar (baggy pants drawn in at the ankles) and kamiz, along with the dupatta (scarf).’
- ‘Nowadays, fashion conscious Asian men are adopting long flowing robes, jackets and dhotis or baggy kameezs and salwars, with a shawl thrown over the shoulder.’
- ‘The standard clothing of men all over Pakistan is the salwar, loose baggy trousers, and kurta, a long shirtlike tunic.’
- ‘For convenience and ease of use, most modern women opt for churidars and salwars, with matching dupattas to give them the stylish look.’
From Persian and Urdu šalwār.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.