Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A gesture or utterance made as a greeting or acknowledgment of another's arrival or departure.‘we greeted them but no one returned our salutations’[mass noun] ‘he raised his glass in salutation’
greeting, salute, address, hail, welcome, toast, tribute, homage, obeisanceView synonyms
- ‘Grenada shares a common Caribbean culture base with many other islands in the Lesser Antilles, including music, literature, greetings and salutations, food, and family structure.’
- ‘Asriel comes into the house, Flora greets him in English, and he returns her salutation in Yiddish.’
- ‘The man nodded politely to us as they passed and Angus returned the salutation.’
- ‘I find that nothing makes conversation quite so impossible as greetings and salutations.’
- ‘He raised one hand in salutation, welcoming one and all in a melancholy voice.’
- 1.1A standard formula of words used in a letter to address the person being written to.
- ‘For example, the undulating pattern of bold word and definition signal a dictionary while the juxtapositioning of date, address and salutation denote a letter.’
- ‘She began the letter with a polite salutation: ‘Your Excellency.’’
- ‘At one time the conventional letter salutation employed when writing to a business person whose name was unknown was ‘Dear Sir.’’
- ‘The email addresses are in the salutation to the letter.’
- ‘We would expect the latter to be considerably more personal and informal than the former, and we would probably not expect a love letter to include a formal address and salutation.’
Late Middle English: from Old French, or from Latin salutatio(n-), from salutare pay one's respects to (see salute).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.