Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[attributive] Of or found in salt water; living in the sea.‘saltwater fish’
- ‘More and more couples are being attracted to saltwater fly and lure fishing even if it's for just two weeks holiday in the sun each year.’
- ‘One of big game fishing's saltwater icons, the white marlin, may be hooked by the federal endangered species list this month.’
- ‘During Lent, when meat was not eaten, they sold salt herrings and saltwater fish.’
- ‘The increasing popularity of these fish for saltwater home aquariums has resulted in collectors destroying many reefs with dynamite and cyanide so as to meet the market demand for prime specimens.’
- ‘Manatees live in shallow waters - slow-moving rivers, estuaries, saltwater bays, canals and coastal areas, especially where seagrass beds flourish.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.