One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A thin, crisp, savory cracker sprinkled with salt.
- ‘Select low-calorie, low-density food options like fresh vegetables or fruits, fat-free pretzels, saltines, etc. for snacks.’
- ‘James and I were sharing a packet of saltines, which only lasted about fifteen minutes, but my mom finally told us to sit at the table if we wanted any food.’
- ‘Once you start eating a bunch of saltines, you're not only parched, but you've instantly got a ball of paste in your mouth that takes lots of chewing to ingest.’
- ‘If your appetite is gone, simply sip water and nibble on saltines for awhile until you feel like eating again.’
- ‘I crushed up the last of the saltines and sprinkled them over the broth.’
From salt + -ine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.