Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dish consisting of rolled pieces of veal or poultry cooked with herbs, bacon, and other flavorings.
- ‘The second course was from a selection of eight entrées (e.g., saltimbocca alla Romana).’
- ‘Other Bijou main courses are made up of traditional winter warmers such as saltimbocca, roasted loin of lamb, roasted rabbit and guinea fowl.’
- ‘It was Julia who found for us the cool, quiet haven of an oak-timbered Italian restaurant, where I cured my headache with Barolo and saltimbocca.’
- ‘The saltimbocca alla romana is astonishing, the veal, prosciutto and sage explode on the tongue. The fragole di bosco are exquisite, possibly the best wild strawberries in the world.’
- ‘His wife said he enjoys cooking all kinds of Italian food but his speciality is meat dishes such as saltimbocca and steaks, which he prepares himself.’
Italian, literally leap into the mouth.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.