One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A frame house having up to three stories at the front and one fewer at the back with a steeply pitched roof.as modifier ‘three-story saltbox houses’
- ‘Their domicile was a very simple affair, a clapboard saltbox with a ‘parlor’ and kitchen on the left side and two bedrooms on the right, built ‘in the round’, with no hallway.’
- ‘The couple lived in apartments for 30 years before taking the real estate plunge, buying a 1939 saltbox that they remade as their own.’
- ‘Mingling the best of old and new, the renovated saltbox remains faithful to its humble origins while accommodating the personality of its residents.’
- ‘It was a saltbox style building with a second saltbox attached as an ell to the first giving the inn two identical facades when viewed from a corner.’
- ‘The 15 duplexes, designed by architect Jerry Weisburd of Housecraft Builders, evoke traditional rural structures such as the New England saltbox.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.