One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A perforated container for sprinkling salt.
- ‘I think that the crostini had been prepared a bit too early by the kitchen, as it had started to become soft, and the salad needed more salt for my taste, but there were no salt shakers on the table.’
- ‘Here's how Betty starts her seeds: After filling her flats with seed-starting mix, she sows the seeds and lightly sprinkles the gelatin powder over them using an old salt shaker.’
- ‘Remove the salt shaker from the table to break the habit of salting food at the table.’
- ‘Feel free to salt otherwise low-sodium foods, such as eggs, potatoes, fresh meat and vegetables, but don't go wild with the salt shaker.’
- ‘Although a salt shaker is the most obvious source of added sodium in foods, most of the sodium you ingest is hidden.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.