One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An area of coastal grassland that is regularly flooded by seawater.
marsh, marshland, swamp, swampland, sump, mire, quagmire, quag, morass, slough, fen, fenland, wetland, carrView synonyms
- ‘Each day, large numbers of snails feasting on dead marsh grass in coastal salt marshes flee the incoming tide and their main predator, the blue crab, by climbing up live marsh grass.’
- ‘The Rann, a vast expanse of tidal mud flats and salt marshes, take up much of Kachch.’
- ‘Shrimp farm development can damage other coastal habitats, including salt marshes and freshwater wetlands, according to the foundation report.’
- ‘The Louisiana salt marsh is tidally flooded, and salinity ranges from 0 to 28 ppt.’
- ‘The estuaries and salt marshes of the Solway Firth, in southwest Scotland, are feeding and roosting grounds for many thousands of wintering wildfowl.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.