One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Areas of flat land covered with a layer of salt.
- ‘In the early spring, flamingos land on the salt flats while in the autumn, the Cypriots celebrate the harvest of the vines with a wine festival.’
- ‘The water level has receded to expose the entire site, leaving the work as a low white spiral mound embedded in blindingly white salt flats.’
- ‘Light can be blinding on the high altitude salt flats, or dense and green in the rainforest.’
- ‘Overnight, the rising of the water table beneath the salt flats meant that large areas - which had previously been usable - became marshy.’
- ‘However, most modern evaporites form in shallow-water marine lagoons or on wide coastal salt flats, and this prompted some geologists to argue that all evaporites were of shallow-water origin.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.