One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Areas of flat land covered with a layer of salt.
- ‘The water level has receded to expose the entire site, leaving the work as a low white spiral mound embedded in blindingly white salt flats.’
- ‘In the early spring, flamingos land on the salt flats while in the autumn, the Cypriots celebrate the harvest of the vines with a wine festival.’
- ‘Overnight, the rising of the water table beneath the salt flats meant that large areas - which had previously been usable - became marshy.’
- ‘However, most modern evaporites form in shallow-water marine lagoons or on wide coastal salt flats, and this prompted some geologists to argue that all evaporites were of shallow-water origin.’
- ‘Light can be blinding on the high altitude salt flats, or dense and green in the rainforest.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.