One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fish, especially cod, that has been preserved in salt.
- ‘Secular and religious holidays are occasions for the preparation of special foods, with fish soup and dumplings, peas and rice, salt fish, stewed mutton, curried goat and grilled local fish preferred.’
- ‘A common meal served in rural areas called privilege blends rice, okra, hot pepper, pig tail or salt beef, garlic, salt fish, and onions.’
- ‘Traditionally, the plantation economy exported cocoa and coffee and imported rice, beans, and salt fish to feed the plantation workers.’
- ‘The lingering stench of salt fish drying in the summer sun was still the sense that most defined my summer, but even that was less overpowering than it had been when I was younger.’
- ‘Within a decade, Gloucester's monopoly on the trade of dried salt fish for molasses from the Dutch colony of Surinam in South America would be eclipsed by the abolition of slavery.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.