One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A type of Latin American dance music incorporating elements of jazz and rock.
- ‘Each solo covers one to two pages, and each presents a different Latin feel or groove such as bossa nova, salsa, Latin rock and Latin swing.’
- ‘Kidjo's style of music varies from Afro-funk, reggae, samba, salsa, gospel, jazz and rumba.’
- ‘The concerts have featured internationally renowned bands playing music as diverse as African dance music, ska, jive, salsa and Bhangra.’
- ‘The Caribbean has given the world a remarkable potpourri of popular music - everything from calypso to salsa, from ska to zouk, from meringue to soca.’
- ‘Venezuelan Americans enjoy a full range of popular music: rock, salsa and other Caribbean forms, pop, country, Latin jazz, and classical.’
- 1.1 A dance performed to salsa music.
- ‘Two fields away the band is piping up, and a leggy 16-year-old is performing a convincing salsa with her 50-year-old father.’
- ‘She came about being a dancer, well she got that from me to I love ballroom dancing especially salsa and ceroc.’
- ‘While you're learning African, ballet, jazz, tango or salsa, you'll also be getting a great workout.’
- ‘Dancing Mocha Jo's has already opened its doors as a dance studio during daylight hours, offering classes in tango, salsa, jazz and echango.’
- ‘Havana Night combines the traditional culture of Cuba with modern dance like the salsa, rumba, cha cha cha and mambo.’
2(especially in Latin American cooking) a spicy tomato sauce.‘a flour tortilla with salsa and shredded cheese’
- ‘Fire-roasted components are highlighted in these refrigerated salsas: avocado-mango, citrus-papaya-chipotle, cucumber, green and red chili-vegetable blends, guacamole, and papaya-mango.’
- ‘Last time I went shopping for the ingredients for taco soup, I found a brand of salsa (I forget the name) that offered salsas in different flavors, such as roasted garlic.’
- ‘Rob literally came dancing out of his kitchen with some corn chips and two salsas - one salsa fresca and the other salsa chipotle (hot with smoke dried Jalapeno chillies) and began to explain the cuisine.’
- ‘Offering an incredible mix of chillies and salsas, the ‘Mexican Festival’ gives to its guests a chance to sample nine different variants of salsas, besides catching up with some great Mexican music.’
- ‘Now salsas can be found worldwide, in varieties such as red chilli, guacamole, or green tomatillo, from mild, to tangy, to suicide five-alarm spicy.’
Spanish, literally ‘sauce’, extended in American Spanish to denote the dance.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.