One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fish of the salmon family ("Salmonidae").
- ‘Larger and deeper lakes, with oxygenated hypolimnions, will also have one or two larger salmonids, usually lake trout or landlocked Atlantic salmon, along with burbot and slimy sculpin.’
- ‘Intensive aquaculture of rainbow trout and other salmonids is a relatively new innovation, compared to the cultivation of most other animals.’
- ‘In addition to the normal spectrum perceived by most vertebrates, several shallow-water species are able to see ultraviolet light; others, such as anchovies, cyprinids, salmonids and cichlids, can even detect polarized light!’
- ‘Sea lice are natural parasites of wild salmonids (salmon and trout) in salt water, feeding on their mucus, skin, and blood.’
- ‘Of all salmonids, namely the salmon and trout, S. confluentus is more inclined to feed on fish.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin Salmonidae (plural), based on Latin salmo, salmon- ‘salmon’ + -id.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.