Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A bacterium that occurs mainly in the intestine, especially a serotype causing food poisoning.
- ‘Bacilli and salmonellae were also found to be sensitive to dicyclomine.’
- ‘Large bone infarcts may become secondarily infected with various bacteria, including salmonellae, resulting in osteomyelitis.’
- ‘Droppings carry potentially dangerous bacteria like listeria and salmonella that can cause a range of illnesses including meningitis.’
- ‘Results of infection by common bacteria such as salmonella, campylobacter and listeria can include vomiting, stomach cramps, diarrhoea, or even death.’
- ‘It is possible for cold spots to harbor harmful bacteria such as salmonella, which is a particular concern for baby bottles.’
- 1.1 Food poisoning caused by infection with the salmonella bacterium.‘an outbreak of salmonella’
- ‘However, a series of crises in farming including BSE, salmonella, swine fever and now foot and mouth, have resulted in millions of animals being destroyed.’
- ‘Human waste is likely to result in such diseases as e-coli and salmonella and increase the rat population in these areas.’
- ‘According to the CSPI, in recent years there have been several outbreaks of both salmonella and E. coli caused by non-pasteurized juices.’
- ‘Brian Henson, 35, pleaded guilty to 14 counts of breaking food safety regulations, leading to an outbreak of salmonella at The Bacon Joint, in Bolton.’
- ‘Inadequate hand hygiene also contributes to food-related illnesses, such as salmonella and E. coli infection.’
Modern Latin, named after Daniel E. Salmon (1850–1914), American veterinary surgeon.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.