One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A lake trout.
- ‘The lake trout or "salmon trout" as it is sometimes called, is the largest trout native to the Great lakes and other Michigan lake waters.’
- ‘There is opportunity for fine fishing in Lake Huron, which will be utilized one of these days when yachting shall have been developed in our grand inland lakes, as it will be in time. Trolling for salmon-trout can be done very successfully with sailing craft, all the way from Saginaw Bay to Mackinaw, and about five or ten miles from shore.’
- 1.1British A sea trout.
- ‘Sea trout is a large round fish very similar to salmon, and sometimes known as salmon trout, or sewin.’
- ‘Because sea trout tastes like salmon, it is often called salmon trout. It is a fresh water, brown trout that has gone to sea.’
- 1.2Australian An Australian salmon.
- ‘Australian 'salmon' (also known as salmon trout, bay trout or black-black salmon) is a fine robust looking fish that lives inside Corio and Port Phillip.’
- ‘The jetty has Tommy ruffs, squid and salmon trout. Point Lowly area has squid, garfish, salmon trout and mullet. The boaties have been catching squid, garfish, KG whiting and snapper to 6kg.’
salmon trout/ˈsamən ˌtrout/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.