One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A migration of salmon up a river from the sea, in order to spawn.
- ‘Resident orcas are fish-eaters with a strong preference for salmon, timing their movements within their territories with salmon runs.’
- ‘The inhabitants of the Outer Hebrides, along with many others in Scotland, see their illegal harvesting of local salmon runs as their heritable right.’
- ‘Environmental groups, which want the Scottish Executive to move fish farms away from salmon runs, said it was too early to draw firm conclusions on a permanent recovery.’
- ‘Record salmon runs have been recorded in Norway, Scotland and other European countries following recent drift-net bans.’
- ‘You don't perhaps get the salmon runs that Ireland still enjoys but the streams of Jutland still get good runs at certain periods of the year.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.