One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A dish of chopped meat, anchovies, eggs, onions, and seasoning.
- ‘AN OLLA PODRIDA is a gallimaufry, a salmagundi, a potpourri, a hotchpotch, a miscellany of ingredients cooked together in the one pot.’
- ‘LL made an arugula salad and a salmagundi of fresh corn, black beans, roasted red peppers, lemon zest and lime juice.’
- 1.1 A general mixture; a miscellaneous collection.
mixture, blend, mingling, combination, compound, fusion, composition, concoction, brew, alloy, merger, union, amalgamation, amalgam, coalition, cross, hybridView synonyms
- ‘A salmagundi of Italian marble, Japanese carpet, matched rosewood, Hawaiian monkeypod wood, gold foil and tropical fish, the Sahara Inn is like a movie set for a dream sequence in a musical starring George Jessel and Zsa Zsa Gabor.’
- ‘Published by Honestech (aka Honest Technology), Fireman is a mélange -- a salmagundi if you will -- of CD and DVD creation and tools.’
From French salmigondis, of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.