Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A dish of chopped meat, anchovies, eggs, onions, and seasoning.
- ‘AN OLLA PODRIDA is a gallimaufry, a salmagundi, a potpourri, a hotchpotch, a miscellany of ingredients cooked together in the one pot.’
- ‘LL made an arugula salad and a salmagundi of fresh corn, black beans, roasted red peppers, lemon zest and lime juice.’
- 1.1A general mixture; a miscellaneous collection.
- ‘A salmagundi of Italian marble, Japanese carpet, matched rosewood, Hawaiian monkeypod wood, gold foil and tropical fish, the Sahara Inn is like a movie set for a dream sequence in a musical starring George Jessel and Zsa Zsa Gabor.’
- ‘Published by Honestech (aka Honest Technology), Fireman is a mélange -- a salmagundi if you will -- of CD and DVD creation and tools.’
From French salmigondis, of unknown origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.