One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman whose job involves selling or promoting commercial products.
seller, salesperson, salesman, dealer, trader, tradesman, retailer, shopkeeper, shopman, shop girl, shop boy, sales assistant, assistant, wholesaler, merchant, trafficker, purveyor, supplier, stockist, marketer, marketeer, sales representative, door-to-door salesman, travelling salesman, commercial travellerView synonyms
- ‘She said they had been greeted in department stores by saleswomen in white coats with products that were uninspiring.’
- ‘A travelling saleswoman for a company in Bradford, the mother-of-two has clocked up 70,000 miles over three years in her Renault Scenic company car.’
- ‘She had six children from her first marriage when widowed, and made a precarious living as a travelling saleswoman.’
- ‘Despite their sometimes unseemly reputation, car salesmen and saleswomen know how to sell.’
- ‘Cashing in on the opportunity, a saleswoman was busy touting the shop's products, even offering to help the teenagers with the nail polish.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.