Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tax on sales or on the receipts from sales.
- ‘Thus school district funding is tied to the sources of state general funds - typically receipts from sales taxes and income taxes.’
- ‘But people who live in states that collect income taxes and sales taxes must choose which one to deduct, leaving roughly half to a third of their state tax obligation undeductible.’
- ‘Shift the burden more to the wealthy by reducing property and sales taxes and imposing state income tax.’
- ‘The traditional tax system of Castile, with its reliance upon sales taxes and a direct tax on the tithe proved ill suited for the natural resource based economy of New Spain.’
- ‘In any case, of course, all education costs come from the same taxpayer whether collected through income taxes, sales taxes or property levies.’
sales tax/ˈsālz ˌtaks/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.