One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic compound related to aspirin, used as a bronchodilator in the treatment of asthma and other conditions involving constriction of the airways.Also called Ventolin (a trademark)
- ‘One recent study in patients with asthma concluded that both salbutamol and ipratropium are effective bronchodilators in patients with asthma, although the overall response to salbutamol appears to be superior in asthma.’
- ‘Moreover, we examined the effectiveness of fluticasone for preventing the development of subsensitivity to bronchodilator effects of salbutamol after regular inhaled salmeterol.’
- ‘Therefore, we evaluated the effects of the inhalation of lidocaine, salbutamol, lidocaine and salbutamol combined, and placebo on an inhalational histamine challenge.’
- ‘The airway response to salbutamol was tested in 56 obstructive asbestos-exposed subjects.’
- ‘Lung function was measured before and after treatment with salbutamol (known as albuterol in the United States), with the individual responses correlated to the sequence of variations found in discrete regions of a person's DNA.’
1960s: from sal(icylic acid) + but(yl) + am(ine) + -ol.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.