One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of a strictly orthodox Sunni Muslim sect advocating a return to the early Islam of the Koran and Sunna.
- ‘The second tendency is represented by the Salafis, a global movement driven by a desire for religious purification.’
- ‘Sufis are typically more peaceful and less rigid than Salafis or Wahhabis, though there are militantly anti-Western Sufi leaders, as well.’
- ‘But on the ground, their own sectarianism and fanatical puritanism often lead the Salafi to reject or alienate those who might otherwise be their allies.’
- ‘Most are peaceful, but some Salafis have turned radical and take up arms, just as there were violent Lutheran peasant rebellions in early modern Europe.’
- ‘Militant Salafis object to Muslims shaving their beards.’
Arabic, from salaf ‘predecessor’, ‘forebear’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.