One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of a strictly orthodox Sunni Muslim sect advocating a return to the early Islam of the Koran and Sunna.
- ‘Sufis are typically more peaceful and less rigid than Salafis or Wahhabis, though there are militantly anti-Western Sufi leaders, as well.’
- ‘Militant Salafis object to Muslims shaving their beards.’
- ‘Most are peaceful, but some Salafis have turned radical and take up arms, just as there were violent Lutheran peasant rebellions in early modern Europe.’
- ‘The second tendency is represented by the Salafis, a global movement driven by a desire for religious purification.’
- ‘But on the ground, their own sectarianism and fanatical puritanism often lead the Salafi to reject or alienate those who might otherwise be their allies.’
Arabic, from salaf ‘predecessor’, ‘forebear’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.