One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A suit of blue and white material resembling the dress uniform of an ordinary seaman, especially as fashionable dress for young boys during the 19th century.
- ‘The children are there, too, poignant in their Norfolk jackets, sailor suits, and dropped-waist dresses.’
- ‘Gone were the immaculate mothers with their kids in little sailor suits, shoes and hats, all brand new and matching.’
- ‘After the breakdown of the Habsburg Empire, the imperial boys' choir was re-established as the Vienna Boys' Choir, whereby the imperial uniforms were replaced by their now-a-days famous sailor suits.’
- ‘A girl with long red hair, wearing traditional sailor suit school uniform is having to do a math problem in front of class’
- ‘Shayla said liking him already and thinking he looked cuddly in his blue and white sailor suit and cap, he looked to be about 10 by his height.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.