One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Instructions to the captain of a vessel regarding such matters as time of departure and destination.
- ‘It is the second time in six months that a ‘suburban skipper’ has been given his sailing orders.’
- ‘She still reached her convoy rendezvous in Loch Ewe on time, but while waiting for sailing orders lost her starboard anchor when the cable snapped.’
- ‘Among our jobs were taking sailing orders to the convoy, rescue work and towing targets for the Army with the artillery lined up on the beach.’
- ‘Boarding the 30,000-ton battleship Warspite, he left behind him sealed sailing orders that the fleet put to sea.’
- ‘While the bomb parts and special passengers were being off-loaded, the new sailing orders for the Indianapolis were being prepared by Commander in Chief.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.