One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An orange-flowered thistle-like Eurasian plant with seeds that yield an edible oil and petals that were formerly used to produce a red or yellow dye.
Carthamus tinctorius, family Compositae
- ‘In reality, this product is the thistle of the safflower plant.’
- ‘First, let me state that it is not because it is a thistle - the niger thistle is really more closely related to safflower or sunflower and like these crops is high in oil.’
- ‘It calculates crop performance with 100 combinations of 10 crops: barley, canola, crambe, dry bean, dry pea, flax, safflower, soybean, sunflower, and wheat.’
- ‘Common foods, which contain phytosterols, are chestnuts, sesame, safflower, sunflower and pumpkin seeds.’
- ‘Traditionally safflower was grown for its flower, used in coloring and flavoring food, making dyes, and in medicine.’
- ‘Yunosuke and his wife, Katsu, had opened their first coffeehouse-style restaurant just after the end of World War II and named it ‘Benihana’ for the red safflowers that grew along the streets.’
- ‘Sunflower, niger, safflower and millet are popular attractors.’
- ‘The dried heads of strawflowers and safflower will further enliven your Yuletide still-life.’
- ‘Other crops include alfalfa, wheat, grapes, sunflowers, safflower, and walnuts.’
- ‘The team looked at crops such as corn, peas, proso millet, safflower, sunflower, triticale, and winter wheat, with some crops grown for grain and some for forage.’
- ‘Feeder watchers always appreciate safflower and thistle seeds, as well as suet cakes.’
- ‘Peanut hearts and safflower seeds are extravagances that many folks don't usually buy for themselves but would welcome as gifts.’
- ‘Zinc deficiency destroyed rice crops; peanut yields were erratic; safflower quality was poor; wheat and sugar proved non-viable.’
- ‘Other tasty crops in the region include sugarbeets, safflower, buckwheat, and crambe.’
- 1.1 The edible oil obtained from the seeds of the safflower plant.
- ‘Polyunsaturated oils, such as flax, corn, hemp, safflower, sesame and sunflower, have at least two gaps.’
- ‘The treaty will ensure that this proud new state gets 90% of the revenue from any oil it produces - peanut oil, coconut, olive, safflower, the lot.’
- ‘Dr Willett recommends cutting back on processed foods, sugars and saturated fat, and eating a diet dominated by unrefined whole grains and vegetable oils (such as olive, safflower, sunflower and groundnut).’
- ‘In addition to almonds, ingredients include almond and/or safflower oil, sea salt, rice flour, tortula yeast and natural smoke flavor.’
- ‘Steer away from safflower, sunflower, corn and sesame oils, as well as polyunsaturated vegetable oils.’
- ‘For example, sunflower oil, corn oil, safflower oil are all rich sources of omega 6.’
- ‘A critical example of this is the overconsumption of refined sugar, refined grains, and refined vegetable oils such as corn, safflower, and sunflower oil.’
- ‘Olive oil is a better choice than corn or safflower oil for cooking.’
- ‘If the roads in Salem, Oregon, smell like French fries, thank Kettle Foods - a snack-food biz whose company cars run on biodiesel made from safflower and sunflower cooking oils.’
- ‘They're also plentiful in many oils - safflower, soybean, sunflower, black currant seed, flaxseed, evening primrose and borage.’
- ‘Containing aloe gel, safflower oil, and almond oil, this potion felt creamy and nourishing and removed dirt and oil.’
- ‘Olive, canola, peanut, sesame, almond, avocado and high-oleic safflower and sunflower oils each have more than 50 percent monounsaturated fats, according to Spectrum Naturals, a leading oil distributor.’
- ‘Made from papaya extract and safflower seed oil, it's lightweight and will soften your facial hair, as well as reduce razor friction.’
- ‘Foods high in these fats include vegetable oils such as safflower, corn and sunflower.’
- ‘GLA is derived from linoleic acid, which is present in many common vegetable oils, such as safflower and sunflower.’
- ‘Some excellent omega - 6-rich foods are borage, evening primrose oil, safflower oil, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, corn and pumpkin seeds.’
- ‘Vegetable oils used in hard margarine include palm, groundnut, coconut, safflower, sunflower, cottonseed, and soya bean, the last two being much the most used in American brands.’
- ‘Use oils such as sunflower, safflower, olive and canola.’
- ‘It can be found in seed oils such as safflower and sunflower and, according to a Loyola University Medical Center study, may help control hypertension and thus prevent stroke, the nation's third-leading killer.’
- ‘They seem to benefit most from an equal blend of almond, or sweet almond, virgin olive and safflower or even sunflower oil, to help to boost brain power.’
Late Middle English: from Dutch saffloer or German Saflor, via Old French and Italian from Arabic aṣfar ‘yellow’. The spelling has been influenced by saffron and flower.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.