One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An accompanying boat providing support in case of emergency, especially in water sports or competitions.
- ‘‘The dives are shorter this time, and entail the diver swimming down to the bomb carrying the 4lb pack while the surface team feed out the detonating cord from a drum in the safety boat,’ said Lt Cdr Burden.’
- ‘There will be boats available with experienced helms to take visitors on to the water together with safety boat cover.’
- ‘Once the tuition ends, you can take a variety of boats out to practise, comforted by the knowledge that if the going gets tough, the tough guy in the safety boat gets going.’
- ‘Mr Staub, a Swiss national, had notified Dover coastguards of his attempt and had an escort safety boat, Lady Sarah, with him as regulations require.’
- ‘The three man/three woman team, which will be accompanied by a safety boat and an on-shore support team, will swim in relays for up to 12 hours each day for six days a week.’
- ‘The initial report was that two Marine Corps safety boats had overturned near the reefs just over the cliffs from our squadron, and five personnel were unaccounted for.’
- ‘We did struggle to right it though, and ended up with the safety boat giving us instructions.’
- ‘There are safety boats in the water and medical personnel throughout the course.’
- ‘Swindon's Sea Scouts invaded a shopping centre car park to raise money for a new safety boat.’
- ‘Andy, however, went and got stuck on the other side of the lake and got towed back by a safety boat.’
- ‘There was no safety boat and, apparently, no way in which to summon aid.’
- ‘The cash is a welcome boost for the scouts, who are also saving up for a new £4,000 safety boat.’
- ‘Acting as ready safety boats, Diablo I and II kept watch as both SEALs and Marine RECON units dropped Combat Rigid Raiding Craft from hovering helicopters, followed closely by the personnel from these units.’
- ‘Gary continued: ‘When she had progressed onto the water, she would be alone in a boat and I would be following her in a safety boat shouting instructions.’’
- ‘He threw a casual glance that way and saw his safety boat in the distance being followed closely into the bay by the two new arrivals.’
- ‘Swans delayed the men's eights final, too, a flock refusing to move from the start even when herded by the safety boats.’
- ‘I end up having to respond and try to communicate her messages onwards, as I'm the only person who is in a safety boat and isn't driving it.’
- ‘He immediately put on a life jacket, started the engine of his high-speed safety boat and sped to the crowded cove where he found the drifting inflatable and the two girls.’
- ‘A small robotic submarine, which follows divers around in the depths of the ocean and relays messages back to a safety boat, was one of the highlights of the show.’
- ‘There are permits to be procured, tides, currents and boat routes to be considered, athletes to monitor, lifeguards to be commissioned and safety boats to be positioned and coordinated.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.