Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Sexual activity in which people take precautions to protect themselves against sexually transmitted diseases such as AIDS.
- ‘An overwhelming majority of all educators were willing to teach their learners about human sexuality and safe sex practices.’
- ‘Even safe sex is defined as sexual intercourse with a condom.’
- ‘In the UK, results in favour of circumcision do not outweigh the protection offered by practising safe sex and using condoms.’
- ‘Here in New York some dykes seem particularly attached to the idea of practicing safe sex, but I wonder if it's more of a hobby than a medical necessity.’
- ‘This equation influences gay and bisexual men in their decisions about whether to adopt or to drop safe sex.’
- ‘Workers generally felt that casual sex was acceptable as long as safe sex was practised.’
- ‘Children of all ages and both sexes need to be taught about safe sex.’
- ‘Powell told a global forum on MTV, everyone should talk candidly about safe sex and condoms.’
- ‘If you know people are going to have sex, you have to promote safe sex.’
- ‘HIV-prevention discussions that should be about safe sex now focus on having less sex.’
- ‘For straight teenagers, safe sex primarily means not getting pregnant!’
- ‘But it would be irresponsible and sexist to proclaim all the onus for safe sex is on the girls alone.’
- ‘Some gay men were clear that arousal did not interfere with their intention to use safe sex.’
- ‘Coburn is fervently opposed to campaigns promoting condom use and safe sex.’
- ‘For some workers sexual pleasure was more important than the concern for safe sex.’
- ‘We had to teach them not only about sex but also about having safe sex.’
- ‘If a person does not want to perform safe sex, it's not going to happen.’
- ‘Perhaps the factor most commonly identified as an impediment to safe sex is substance abuse.’
- ‘Yet we are lying to these children because we tell them condoms = safe sex.’
- ‘If you do decide to have sex, be sure she speaks with her health care provider about her safe sex options.’
safe sex/ˌsāf ˈseks/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.