One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Characterized by or deriving sexual gratification from both sadism and masochism.‘sadomasochistic fantasies and practices’‘a complex sadomasochistic relationship’
- ‘In this sense, discipline can carry a sadomasochistic connotation of role-play in the interest of pleasure.’
- ‘Women are portrayed as desexualized personae and seen through a sadomasochistic veil.’
- ‘The elements of sadomasochistic sex, desires for violence, and a trajectory toward suicide will provoke discomfort among many readers.’
- ‘We have seen characters like this in many mob stories, the sadomasochistic psychopath who flaunts rank against reproach.’
- ‘They are the dirty secrets under the squeaky-clean surface, the seductive sadomasochistic dream behind absolute power.’
- ‘The play's sexuality is always sadomasochistic, emphasized by his heated direction.’
- ‘The central sadomasochistic drama is played out against the background of Erika's enmeshment with her controlling mother.’
- ‘This sadomasochistic element introduces complex shades of meaning to her character.’
- ‘Reaction to such obvious sadomasochistic goading exceeds the energy threshold of this reviewer.’
- ‘A new standard for sadomasochistic depravity is set each time the cameras roll.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.