One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Each of a pair of bags attached behind the saddle on a horse, bicycle, or motorcycle.
- ‘He rolled up the cape and placed it in a saddlebag.’
- ‘They carried their homemade bread and butter sandwiches in the saddlebag, and were very glad to have a bicycle and a job to go to.’
- ‘He ate a piece of bread that was placed in his saddlebag and gave the horse a carrot.’
- ‘Edgar tied a bag shut and put it in his horse's saddlebag, then mounted up.’
- ‘He had a saddlebag slung over his shoulder and a bright red kerchief tied around his neck.’
- ‘As people start running toward them, Georgie gets down off the horse and takes the second gun from the saddlebag.’
- ‘He tells them that if the basin is a helmet, then the saddlebag must be a fancy harness.’
- ‘Picking up a sword from the wall and retrieving a pair of spurs from the saddlebag he mounted and whispered a few words into the horse's ear.’
- ‘Ryan, thinking quickly, snatched the crossbow along with a coil of thin cord attached to the side of the saddlebag.’
- ‘Her hand moved over the pencil she was drawing with and placed it in her black saddlebag, and flung it over her head onto her shoulder.’
- ‘I ditched the first saddlebag at the White Horse in Exford, Somerset, the second at Raleghs Cross Inn in the Brendon hills.’
- ‘I found the saddlebag, and my bag, and took them both.’
- ‘She cursed as she looked through the saddlebag.’
- ‘Cate walked over to the saddle and placed several of the apples in the saddlebag.’
- ‘Claire continued to rummage through the saddlebag.’
- ‘Feeling rested, Rossiter packed up his belongings in his saddlebag and mounted his horse.’
- ‘He unpacked his few belonging from his saddlebag.’
- ‘She opened up a saddlebag and pulled out bandages.’
- ‘With a sigh he tucked it back into his saddlebag.’
- ‘The saddlebag was made from a cow's stomach which, being waterproof and inflatable, could be used as a float when crossing rivers.’
- 1.1saddlebagsUS informal Excess fat around the hips and thighs.
- ‘What exercises will get rid of saddlebags?’
- ‘Although I am not overweight, I still have saddlebags.’
- ‘After only 7 weeks, REMI helped Amy rid off all the body fat, cellulite and saddlebags she had been struggling to lose.’
- ‘These are the outer thighs - where the bulges are known as saddlebags - the inner thighs and the buttocks.’
- ‘She was moderately overweight but no where near obese and the excess showed in her chubby cheeks and small saddlebags.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.