One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The heart of Christ, especially as represented in an image and regarded as an object of devotion among Roman Catholics.
- ‘He pointed to the decline in devotion to the Sacred Heart which underpinned the whole pioneer movement.’
- ‘In her heart she had a special affection for the Sacred Heart and always looked forward to the Sacred Heart novenas.’
- ‘This is why most images show the Sacred Heart surmounted by a cross and surrounded by thorns.’
- ‘It is to make atonement to the most Sacred Heart for all the sins of the world and to implore His grace and mercy for every family in the parish.’
- ‘When these sermons on the Sacred Heart were read in the convent, the nuns got the message.’
- ‘In June 1899, on the eve of the Feast of the Sacred Heart, the marks of Christ's wounds appeared on her hands.’
- ‘It is the first thing that the outsider feels in a Pieta or a shrine of the Sacred Heart.’
- ‘Painted icons came down and painted-plaster statues of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary went up.’
- ‘This will be a public Novena, a wonderful opportunity for devotion to the Sacred Heart.’
Sacred Heart/ˈsākrid härt/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.