One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The sanctuary of a church.
holy place, temple, shrine, tabernacle, altar, sanctum, inner sanctum, holy of holies, bema, naos, adytumView synonyms
- ‘Melendez led a group of us through the exhibition and enchanted all visitors to the side chapel by opening the sacrarium to reveal a painting of the Last Supper.’
- ‘It is now on display in the sacrarium of the Catholic parish church of Neu-St Heribert.’
- ‘And the two senior priests, after bowing with reverence, enter the Sacrarium or wherever the Lord's Body is being reserved from the previous day and place.’
- 1.1 (in the Roman Catholic Church) a piscina.
- ‘Unless the altar cloths have been stained with the Precious Blood, it is not necessary that they be cleaned in the sacrarium.’
- ‘Before they are washed, corporals and purifiers should always be rinsed first and the water should be disposed of as described above, in the sacrarium, etc.’
- 1.2 (in the ancient Roman world) a shrine, in particular the room in a house containing the penates.
Latin, from sacer, sacr- ‘holy’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.