One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman's short, loose, unwaisted dress, originally fashionable in the 1950s.
- ‘The collection ended on a high note with a sequence of little black sack dresses with gilded metallic trim.’
- ‘Sack dresses, shift dresses and shirt dresses are hitting the fashion scene in a big way.’
- ‘Bodies were being reconfigured dramatically, particularly female ones - the corset and chignon were abandoned for the unconstructed sack dress and bobbed hair of the femme nouvelle.’
- ‘Next seasons's big thing, the sack dress, was also seen in the show.’
- ‘Fans of the sack dress - and there are a surprising number - cite its elegant origins at Balenciaga in the 1950s.’
sack dress/ˈsak ˌdres/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.