One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The application of statistical analysis to baseball records, especially in order to evaluate and compare the performance of individual players.
- ‘In this fascinating and fact-filled piece on sabermetrics, Larry Mankhen demonstrates why baseball is still far and away the most interesting sport to write about and debate.’
- ‘A good general rule of thumb in sabermetrics is that a shift in 10 runs from one column to the other is worth one win.’
- ‘When that fell through, he did the next best thing: He hired Bill James, the writer and baseball thinker who invented sabermetrics, as senior baseball operations adviser.’
- ‘Bill James being hired by the Sox is another sign of the foothold that sabermetrics has gained in baseball's front offices.’
- ‘The Red Sox's new management team includes both Bill James, the godfather of statistical analysis, or sabermetrics, and former Tigers general manager Bill Lajoie, a classic evaluator.’
- ‘The traditional Triple Crown stats are OK, but they have become a lazier way of determining value in this day and age of more sophisticated analysis encompassed in the study of sabermetrics.’
- ‘Part One covered Mike's opinions on topics ranging from his beloved Phillies to sabermetrics to his favorite players and baseball heroes.’
- ‘Bill James, the godfather of baseball sabermetrics, is now working as a consultant for the Boston Red Sox.’
- ‘His brand of sabermetrics, though, concentrates on the analysis of what ordinary baseball fans like best: the great home run records, the hitting streaks, the batting averages.’
- ‘Second, Martone is one of the few daily newspaper guys who understands sabermetrics and uses it in his writing, and as such I feel compelled to support him even though he's covering ‘the enemy’.’
- ‘Whereas Baltimore's Weaver in the 1970s was canonized for the index cards he kept on individual players, now a whole body of mathematical analysis, sabermetrics, has left no stat unturned.’
- ‘Much of prospect analysis, no matter what sabermetrics say, is speculation.’
- ‘Inasmuch as sabermetrics as defined is the search for objective truth about baseball, I think it's only fitting that wild claims as to the impact of steroids on baseball are greeted with some skepticism.’
- ‘Similarly, sabermetrics, which has greatly advanced our understanding of how to better watch, play, and win at baseball, will be associated with this gambling use and vigorously persecuted.’
- ‘I think Bill would say that the whole goal of sabermetrics is to study baseball, to test common assumptions, to find out what we know, and what we don't know, and to try and find ways to improve our knowledge.’
- ‘As we all know, fielding statistics are the question mark of sabermetrics.’
- ‘The single most important tenet of sabermetrics, for my money, is that there's a predictable relationship between a team's winning percentage and the number of runs it scores and allows.’
- ‘Isn't the purpose of sabermetrics objectivity?’
- ‘Even before I got into sabermetrics I had always been fascinated by baseball statistics… I didn't care about the statistics in anything else.’
- ‘From sabermetrics to discussions about the Hall of Fame merits of certain players to possible subjects for future articles, we talked about everything under the sun.’
1980s: from SABR, acronym from S ociety for A merican B aseball R esearch, + metrics.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.