One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chemical element of atomic number 104, a very unstable element made by high-energy atomic collisions.
- ‘Due to its extremely short half-life (about 0.1milliseconds), there's no reason for considering the effects of rutherfordium in the environment.’
- ‘The American team, on the other hand, proposed the name rutherfordium for the new element, in honor of the great British scientist Sir Ernest Rutherford.’
- ‘My second project is the investigation of the chemistry of rutherfordium in the gas phase.’
- ‘The daughter isotope, rutherfordium - 259 (an isotope of element 104), recoiled into an opposing detector.’
- ‘And the Berkeley name for element 104, rutherfordium, was surely an honour due to one of the century's greatest nuclear physicists.’
1960s: modern Latin, named after E. Rutherford (see Rutherford, Sir Ernest).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.