One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make Russian in character.
- ‘Rather illogically, however, they denied this right to non-Russian peoples inside the Empire; these people should Russify themselves, or be Russified by others.’
- ‘These people claimed to speak Russian but were in fact speaking a Russified Belarusan, often with the admixture of Yiddish words.’
- ‘Instead, it was extended, stripped of its Russifying intentions, and redeployed by the Bolsheviks in pursuit of their own ‘bold experiment in language planning’ in the 1920s.’
- ‘Chelsea FC, that London footballing institution, is well on the way to being Russified in the wake of the buyout by a billionaire.’
- ‘Anxious hotel staff rush out and sweep us into an opulent Russified artmoderne interior.’
- ‘It is true that the quintessential Eastern, Russified region of Donetsk has voted overwhelmingly for its ex-governor as well as ex-petty criminal Yanukovych.’
- ‘Only a small fraction of the ancestors of today's Armenian Americans had any contact with the Russified northern cities of Yerevan, Van, or Erzerum.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.