One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The time that a film or DVD lasts.‘a thriller that is so well paced it seems a lot shorter than its three-hour runtime’
The length of time a program takes to run.
- ‘Further, heuristical simplifications are described to reduce run-times for the optimization process.’
- ‘Operations and maintenance savings can result from improved performance of systems, reduced run-time and decreased maintenance costs.’
- ‘Many instructors use program run-times to illustrate and reinforce algorithm complexity concepts.’
- ‘New, much more aggressive models are needed, and unfortunately we will pay a heavy penalty in run-times and convergence.’
- ‘The algorithm run-time increases in polynomial time, and so the problem is called ‘P-type’.’
- 2.1 The time at or during which a program is run.
- ‘Given the architecture's dynamic reconfigurability, objects with different operation cycles can be instantiated at run-time.’
- ‘In contrast, an OODB allows for late binding of data types or binding of data types at run-time.’
- ‘Once the first preprocessing step is complete, the second step may be executed at run-time, while a user is inspecting, or visualizing, the input.’
- ‘At run-time, an in-memory representation of the structured data type is generated using information conveyed in the parse trees.’
- ‘Content can be customized at run-time using an XML description of the client, user settings, and content structure.’
- 2.2 A cut-down version of a program that can be run but not changed.‘you can distribute the runtime to your colleagues’
- ‘He is co-author of C# and the accompanying (but usually ignored) common run-time: Microsoft's version of a JVM.’
- ‘Hence, the New Reality Run-time is a run-time that optimizes for REST and Scripts.’
- ‘Plaintiffs indicate that he will testify that he was able to run and test various applications on these embedded run-times.’
- ‘The big iron guys don't want the Microsoft run-time to run well natively on their servers, so it will forever be relegated to edge tasks.’
- ‘Mono is a run-time and C# compiler, but the team has included just-in-time support an IDE, and intriguingly, both a Visual Basic runtime and a Java VM.’
(of software) in a reduced version that can be run but not changed.
- ‘Windows Rights Manager ‘individualizes the critical components of each run-time client.’’
- ‘He spent a lot of time trying to force me to answer a question about how long it would take to download a JRE [Java run-time environment] using DSL or cable broadband.’
- ‘What the company is releasing is source code for the database of automated solutions, the tools to develop solutions, and the run-time version of the symptom and detection engine.’
- ‘This job starts the local area multicomputer software, which is a user-level, dæmon-based run-time environment.’
- ‘Because the development platform is also the run-time engine, you can use the database widget in real time to manage databases as you develop an application.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.