One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Exhausted of all one's resources or sustenance.
tired out, worn out, weary, dog-tired, bone-tired, bone-weary, ready to drop, on one's last legs, asleep on one's feet, drained, fatigued, enervated, debilitated, spentView synonyms
- ‘I've been running on empty for over two weeks now.’
- ‘The ground was operating at full capacity while the teams' inventive faculties were running on empty.’
- ‘Plus, I was exhausted, running on empty by then.’
- ‘The city is running on empty, yet the amount of money considered necessary to feed the police force is growing by leaps and bounds.’
- ‘I'd been away for a long time and I was running on empty by the end.’
- ‘He goes on to suggest that America is now an empire running on empty, backing away from the crucial imperial commitments of time, money and manpower - and resting on perilous financial foundations.’
- ‘However, despite the fact that what happened was in the best interests of the spectators, it does not disguise the fact that this England team is running on empty.’
- ‘I will be running on empty, my life fuelled only by the adrenaline created by feelings of constant panic and dread.’
- ‘After about three hours of high-intensity movement, you're essentially running on empty.’
- ‘Next time you're running on empty, reach for an apple with a tablespoon of peanut butter, plain low-fat yogurt with a cup of berries, or wholegrain toast with an ounce of cheese.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.