Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A competitor or team taking second place in a contest.‘he was runner-up in the 200 m individual medley’
defeated person, also-ran, the defeated, the vanquishedView synonyms
- ‘The first team were also runners-up in the Middlesex Cup for a second year in succession.’
- ‘He also teamed with him, and they were the runners-up as tag team of the year.’
- ‘Silsden must now win their final away match to force a play-off for the runners-up spot.’
- ‘Keybury Security's six-a-side soccer team were runners-up in the Bradford Monday Premier League.’
- ‘With two World Cup victories and a runner-up spot since then, they have enjoyed unparalleled success.’
- ‘They won the first tournament's doubles finals and were then runners-up in the second tournament.’
- ‘A young travel agent has won a top industry award went on to scoop a runners-up place in a second national competition.’
- ‘The runners-up will face the second team from group six in the play-offs.’
- ‘The group winners and runners-up qualify for the quarter-finals, as will the two teams with the next best records.’
- ‘There are also excellent prizes on offer for the runners-up and all the contestants receive a memento of their weekend.’
- ‘The under 16 team won the All County League and were runners-up in the South Down Championship.’
- ‘In accepting the trophy the Ilkley Captain praised the efforts of his team and the runners-up.’
- ‘One of their season's outstanding performances came against the league runners-up at the Avenue back in December.’
- ‘Those three points, however, might mean the difference between being champions and runners-up.’
- ‘In addition, there is one set of specially produced Wainwright mugs on offer as a runner-up prize.’
- ‘The Oakbank Fastbats second team were runners-up in Division Three.’
- ‘The four with the highest scores formed the A team and the runners-up formed the B team.’
- ‘These players were world youth champions in Nigeria, runners-up in the 2000 Olympic Games.’
- ‘Five went from the zone finals at Armley as champions, and one qualified as runners-up.’
- ‘The Love of Food team were awarded a runners-up prize of £1,000-worth of mentoring support.’
- 1.1A competitor finishing behind the winner in the specified position.‘third runner-up in last year's election’
- ‘She also ended up being the fourth runner-up in the contest, as a 20- year-old dancer from Japan, was named Miss Universe 2007.’
- ‘Everyone was standing in exultation when he was named as third runner-up.’
- ‘He is coming off his third runner-up finish, and he also has a victory at Phoenix.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.