One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Chase a quarry to its lair.
- ‘After being run to ground by hounds the fox was flushed out of its earth by a terrier and shot.’
- 1.1British Find someone or something after a long search.
find, discover, locate, track down, trace, run to earth, unearth, hunt out, ferret outView synonyms
- ‘680 million has poured into the state's coffers as tax evaders have been run to ground.’
- ‘He teamed up with the FBI and tracked Mitnick for two months, until they ran him to ground, surprising him in a Raleigh apartment, surrounded by telephone gear and fake driver's licenses.’
- ‘Abrams was finally run to earth in 1991, pleading guilty to two misdemeanor counts of lying to Congress under oath, in order to avoid felony charges.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.