One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Seek to acquire or attain; pursue persistently.‘businesses that have spent years running after the boomer market’
- ‘They have been largely ignored by the media, businesses and public institutions, which have spent years running after the baby-boom market.’
- ‘I really hope that my band will keep on being honest and playing the good music instead of turning into rats running after the rockstar lifestyle.’
- 1.1 Seek the company of (someone) with the aim of developing a romantic or sexual relationship with them.
pursue, chase, make romantic advances to, flirt withView synonyms
- ‘Right from his school days, so many girls have been running after him.’
- ‘This just isn't going to work out if you go running after other girls again.’
- ‘I hope she will marry my son and stop him running after so many girls.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.