One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Meet or find by chance.‘I just thought you might have run across him before’
meet, meet by chance, come across, run into, chance on, stumble across, stumble on, happen onView synonyms
- ‘In the Czech Republic, like any non-Anglo region of the globe, one frequently runs across amusing mistranslations of English.’
- ‘She has to be one of the most annoying characters I've ever run across.’
- ‘I've been a private eye for thirty-five years, give or take, and I've never run across anything like this.’
- ‘She said that while overall she enjoys her job, she still runs across people who like to grumble or to ridicule her.’
- ‘What is the etiquette when one runs across one's brother on an internet message board?’
- ‘I've tried desperately to avoid kvetching about my roommate here, just in case she ever runs across the site, but last night sent me over the edge.’
- ‘Chances are that at some point you've run across someone like me.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.