Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A North American woodland grouse which has a black ruff on the sides of the neck.
- ‘His experienced ears have picked up the faint, deep, drumming sound of a ruffed grouse.’
- ‘And the Poconos' deciduous forests harbor a wealth of birds, ranging from the scarlet tanager to the ruffed grouse.’
- ‘Be on the lookout for woodcocks, rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, foxes, beavers, otters, ruffed grouse, and muskrat.’
- ‘Tracks of squirrel, weasel, coyote, rabbit, ruffed grouse, and mice are common, says Alison Adams, who runs snowshoe hikes in Harbor Springs, Michigan.’
- ‘The ruffed grouse is a nonmigratory, forest game bird.’
- ‘One year, a ruffed grouse took a liking to Bob and would emerge from the woods near the ninth green whenever he walked past; once, it followed his daughter into their house.’
- ‘The ruffed grouse, in contrast, is secretive, elusive and quick to take flight - hikers and hunters seldom get more than a glimpse.’
- ‘Photuris pennsylvanica officially took its place alongside the whitetail deer, ruffed grouse, and Great Dane as official state symbols.’
- ‘Did you know that Pennsylvania's state bird is the ruffed grouse?’
- ‘On the one hand, you have the uplands: home to the ruffed grouse and the woodcock, the ringneck pheasant, the bobwhite quail, and just possibly sharptail grouse and Hungarian partridge, too.’
- ‘As food, wild turkeys eat its roots, and ruffed grouse, mourning doves, bobwhite, turkeys and juncos devour its seeds.’
- ‘In addition, Cranberry Glades is home to white-tailed deer, beaver, and black bear, as well as ruffed grouse and great blue herons.’
- ‘We ski stealthily up to a herd of deer or pass a ruffed grouse on the trail while gliding along.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.