Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A North American woodland grouse that has a black ruff on the sides of the neck.
- ‘Did you know that Pennsylvania's state bird is the ruffed grouse?’
- ‘The ruffed grouse, in contrast, is secretive, elusive and quick to take flight - hikers and hunters seldom get more than a glimpse.’
- ‘His experienced ears have picked up the faint, deep, drumming sound of a ruffed grouse.’
- ‘Photuris pennsylvanica officially took its place alongside the whitetail deer, ruffed grouse, and Great Dane as official state symbols.’
- ‘In addition, Cranberry Glades is home to white-tailed deer, beaver, and black bear, as well as ruffed grouse and great blue herons.’
- ‘We ski stealthily up to a herd of deer or pass a ruffed grouse on the trail while gliding along.’
- ‘The ruffed grouse is a nonmigratory, forest game bird.’
- ‘On the one hand, you have the uplands: home to the ruffed grouse and the woodcock, the ringneck pheasant, the bobwhite quail, and just possibly sharptail grouse and Hungarian partridge, too.’
- ‘One year, a ruffed grouse took a liking to Bob and would emerge from the woods near the ninth green whenever he walked past; once, it followed his daughter into their house.’
- ‘Be on the lookout for woodcocks, rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, foxes, beavers, otters, ruffed grouse, and muskrat.’
- ‘And the Poconos' deciduous forests harbor a wealth of birds, ranging from the scarlet tanager to the ruffed grouse.’
- ‘Tracks of squirrel, weasel, coyote, rabbit, ruffed grouse, and mice are common, says Alison Adams, who runs snowshoe hikes in Harbor Springs, Michigan.’
- ‘As food, wild turkeys eat its roots, and ruffed grouse, mourning doves, bobwhite, turkeys and juncos devour its seeds.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.