One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Jamaica) a lawless urban youth who likes ska or reggae music.
- ‘The film struck a chord with its outsize tale of music industry corruption and socio-economic conditions in Jamaica, and Cliff won rave reviews for his portrayal of its rude boy hero, Ivan Martin.’
- ‘On the second song, Irie gives the soft side of a rude boy.’
- ‘I'd also like to remind those people who seem to think that the ska scene is the sole domain of 14-year-old rude boys, that it was skinheads who embraced and popularized ska back in the late '60s and early '70s.’
- ‘Suits modeled on those of the Jamaican rude boys were often worn in the evening, but day or night, the skinhead look was hard, masculine, and working-class.’
- ‘The ska lads had emerged from Coventry the year before, rude boys all, and had yet to be eclipsed by their labelmates.’
- ‘Pick up a newspaper and it's all rappers and rude boys toting guns and tooting coke.’
- ‘They believe that a crackdown by the Metropolitan Police and British Transport Police has displaced London gangs of so-called grungers and rude boys to Chelmsford.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.