A turnstone of a New World race that breeds on the Arctic coastal tundra.
- ‘Other shorebirds noted in small numbers were black-bellied plover, American golden-plover, pectoral sandpiper, purple sandpiper, red phalarope, ruddy turnstone, and red knot.’
- ‘We studied the behavior and the foraging success of ruddy turnstones using an experiment in which we varied both the presence of a competitor and the food distribution.’
- ‘We experimentally determined the relationship between forager density and foraging success in two wader species: the red knot and the ruddy turnstone.’
- ‘Look for great blue herons among the reeds and shallow waters of Bermuda's marshes, or watch ruddy turnstones digging for food on the beaches.’
- ‘Children exploring the tidepools didn't notice the plovers, or the probing ruddy turnstone, or the teetering spotted sandpiper.’